Thursday, September 1, 2011

Earthen Vessels: Why our bodies matter to our faith by Matthew Lee Anderson


This book takes a look at our bodies and how they relate to issues like the world, tattoos, sex, homosexuality, death and worship.  It is a pretty high level read and the first few chapters are pretty philosophical, so I didn’t get a lot from those chapters.  As the book went along, I think it began to get more interesting, or maybe I was just more interested in the topics. 

The main thing that I took away from this book, which I think was the lead sentence in the conclusion of each chapter, is that our bodies are not our own.  They belong to Christ.  I found the last few chapters the most interesting when it explores our bodies and worship, and the church body and worship.  He wrote about technological advancements and what I’d call e-Worship using the Internet and streaming sermons.  I think he raises an interesting point that while I think that they can beneficial, there is something to be said for gathering as a church community together that adds an element that can’t be found on your own. 

I enjoyed portions of this book, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you are looking for light reading.  I didn’t understand some of the first few chapters, but that might be my own limited understanding of philosophy.  I agree with his epilogue that it may have raised more questions than it answers, but that might not be all bad if he’s trying to start conversations as it seems he is.

Disclaimer:  I received this book as a part of the book reviewer program from Bethany House.  My review is my own and was not influenced in any way.