Friday, September 23, 2011

Lion of Babylon by Davis Bunn

Lion of Babylon by Davis Bunn

The story follows Marc Royce, a former intelligence officer from the United States, called to Iraq to find a friend who has recently gone missing.  He works across national, political and religious lines to bridge gaps and try to find his friend before it’s too late.  The story is set in Iraq amidst the rebuilding of the country and the struggle for power in the new government.  Marc meets new allies and finds new enemies in his quest.

I thought this was an interesting book with a  good story and some good action chapters toward the end of the book.  I think it was a little light in character development as it felt like the author gave a brief overview of the main characters, but didn’t get real deep.  One other thing that I thought was interesting was after Marc had some success, the religious leader was quick to say that all Americans were good.  I’m not sure this is a realistic scenario, but I think the author was trying to convey a theme of looking past differences and seeking common ground.  I enjoyed the story line of the book, but would have liked to go deeper into the characters that were portrayed.

I received this book as part of Bethany House Publishing review program.  My review is my own and has not been influenced in any way.